Monday, February 27, 2012

Pickles Again?

Jonathan made a super delish dinner tonight! I’m so lucky to have a husband with great culinary skills, because Lord knows I am severely lacking in that department. And I love that he actually enjoys cooking – sometimes I think it’s possible that he missed his calling as a chef. One thing we can’t agree on though is how he prepares squash and zucchini…



Now in his defense, it IS a bit strange that in most cases, I would much rather eat my veggies raw instead of cooked, but when it comes to squash and zucchini my husband tends to overcook…leaving them floppy and soggy.

Gabe and Eden are a lot like me in this way – they love to eat raw bell peppers, onions, asparagus, broccoli…the list goes on. And because of our ongoing squash dispute, I normally take over for this part of the food preparation…but tonight it was all Jonathan.

I set the table and we all sat down to eat and Gabe picks up a slice of zucchini and examines it. ‘Eww it’s so slimy! What is this’, he asks with a scrunched up face.

‘It’s zucchini honey it’s just been cooked’ I reply.

‘Is it like a pickle’, he asked. ‘Sure. Kind of like a pickle in texture. It’s good, take a bite.’

He bravely brings the slice to his mouth and takes a small nibble…we all silently wait for the critique.

‘Like a pickle’, he says mockingly, ‘But disGUSting’!

We all burst into laughter! I found it especially funny because of Gabe’s history with pickles. See ‘The Stuff Dreams are Made of’ blog post from August 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment